The federal state establishment
The modern Khanty-Mansiysk Autonomous Okrug – Ugra is the fully legitimate subject of the RF, neighboring with the Yamalo-Nenetsk Autonomous Okrug, south of Tyumen Oblast, Republic of Komi, Sverdlovsk, Tomsk regions and Krasnoyarsk Krai. But in the history of the Ugra land the borders were changing often, and Ugra itself was a part of the many different Russian regions.
The territory of the Khanty-Mansiysk Autonomous Okrug became part of Russia at the end of the 16th century. From the beginning of the 17th century the Pelym, the Berezov, the Surgut, and the Tobolsk uyezds (districts) belonged administratively to the Tobolsk Razryad (territorial unit). In 1677 the Surgut uyezd became part of the Tomsk Razryad. In 1708 Berezov and Surgut were assigned to the Siberian Province established by a decree of Peter I. And in 1775 the Okrug's territory was incorporated into the Tobolsk Province including the Surgut uyezd, the "Pelym part" of the Turinsk uyezd, the southern part of the Berezov and the northern part of the Tobolsk uyezds. In 1822 - 1882 the territory of the Okrug covered the Konda and the Surgut parts of the Berezov uyezd, the Pelym part of the Turinsk Okrug and the northern part of the Tobolsk Okrug. In the beginning of the 20th century the administrative and geographic territory of the modern Khanty-Mansiysk Autonomous Okrug became known as the Tobolsk North.
After the October Revolution the administrative structure of Ugra was changed repeatedly, the Okrug was successively assigned to different administrative units. On 5 April 1918 the seat of the region's government was moved to Tyumen with the corresponding change of the province's name. The Okrug's territory comprised the Berezov, the Surgut and part of the Tobolsk uyezds. On 3 November 1923 the Tyumen province was liquidated and the Okrug's territory incorporated into the Ural Oblast.
On 10 December 1930 the Presidium of RCEC RSFSR issued a resolution on establishing the Ostyak-Vogul Ethnic Okrug with the center in Samarovo. The new administrative region was made up of six regions: the Berezovski, the Kondinski, the Larjakski, the Samarovski, the Surgut, and the Shuryshkary districts. On 17 January 1934 it became part of the Ob-Irtysh Oblast. However this arrangement lasted no longer than 11 months, and already in December 1934 it was assigned to the Omsk Oblast. In 1937 the Shuryshkary district was placed under the administration of the Yamal-Nenets Ethnic Okrug.
On 23 October 1940 the Presidium of the RSFSR Supreme Soviet issued a decree on changing the name of the Ostyak-Vogul Ethnic Okrug to the Khanty-Mansiysk Okrug. On 14 August 1944 the Okrug was incorporated into the newly established Tyumen Oblast.
The existing territorial structure of the region began to take shape in the late 1950s. In 1957 the Mikoyan district received a new name of Oktyabrsky, and 3 years later the Samarovski district became the Khanty-Mansiysk one. In 1962 the Larjakski district became known as the Nizhnevartovski. The Sovetski district was formed on 15 February 1968. The Nefteyugansk district appeared on the map of Ugra on 23 July 1980. The Beloyarski town and the administrative district of the same name were established much later - only in 1988.
Under the USSR Constitution of 7 October 1977 the Khanty-Mansiysk Ethnic Okrug acquired the autonomous status and its name was changed to the Khanty-Mansiysk Autonomous Okrug. Under the 1993 Constitution of the RF it became a subject of the Russian Federation in its own right. The Okrug has its own territory, Charter, emblem, and flag; the powers to form its legislative and executive government bodies as well as municipal administrations; owns public property; has a right of legislative initiative in the State Duma and a representation in the Council of Federation.
On 25 July 2003 under the Decree of the President of the RF the Charter of the Khanty-Mansiysk Autonomous Okrug was amended as a result of which an important semantic change was made and the Okrug received its current name - the Khanty-Mansiysk Autonomous Okrug - Ugra.
Today the Okrug consists of 22 municipalities, 9 of which are administrative districts - the Beloyarski, the Berezovski, the Kondinski, the Nefteyugansk, the Nizhnevartovsk, the Oktyabrski, the Sovetsky, the Surgut and the Khanty-Mansiysk, and 13 cities - Kogalym, Langepas, Megion, Nefteyugansk, Nizhnevartovsk, Nyagan, Pokachi, Pyt-Yakh, Raduzhny, Surgut, Urai, Khanty-Mansiysk, and Ugorsk.