Interregional and international cooperation
International, interregional and foreign economic activities of the Khanty-Mansiysk Autonomous Okrug - Ugra comply with the Foreign Policy Concept of the Russian Federation approved by the President of the Russian Federation, the recommendations of the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Strategy for the socio-economic development of Khanty-Mansiysk Autonomous Okrug - Ugra until 2020 and until 2030.
Interregional cooperation of Khanty-Mansiysk Autonomous Okrug – Ugra is an important reserve of bilateral ties with countries and regions in trade, economic, humanitarian and other areas. As of December 31, 2019, 28 documents on cooperation were in force on the territory of Ugra including:
- 7 agreements between the Government of Ugra and regions of foreign states (Self-government of the Zala county of the Republic of Hungary, Varna region of the Republic of Bulgaria, South Moravian region of the Czech Republic, Banská Bystrica regional self-government of the Slovak Republic, Regional Council of Päijät-Häme Communes of the Republic of Finland, Homs province of the Syrian Arab Republic , Mogilev Regional Executive Committee of the Republic of Belarus), 1 memorandum of understanding with state authorities of a foreign state (Alberta province of Canada), 3 statements of intent with state authorities of the Republic of Belarus, an agreement with the Government of the Republic of Belarus (12 documents in total).
- 16 agreements on cooperation of local self-government authorities of Khanty-Mansiysk Autonomous Okrug - Ugra with foreign partners: Brno of the Czech Republic, Banska Bystrica of Slovakia, Chaoyang of the People's Republic of China, Zalaegerszeg
Hungary, Katerini Greece, Porvoo Finland, Gomel, Shklov of the Republic of Belarus, Krichevsky district Executive Committee of the Republic of Belarus, Ivano-Frankovsk Ukraine, Kherson City Executive Committee of Ukraine, Jurmala Latvia, Riga Municipality of Latvia, Burgas of the Republic of Bulgaria.
International cooperation of municipalities of Ugra with municipalities of foreign countries has become more active. June 28, 2019, Memorandum of Cooperation was signed between the city of Kogalym of Khanty-Mansiysk Autonomous Okrug - Ugra and the city of Burgas of the Republic of Bulgaria on cooperation in of bilateral economic relations and trade development, strengthening cultural relations, sports promotion and implementation of the tourist potential of the two cities. June 28, 2019, an Agreement was concluded between the Krichevsky District Executive Committee (Republic of Belarus) and Administration of the Municipality of the city of Nyagan (the Russian Federation) on cooperation in trade, economic, scientific, technical and cultural fields. The city of Urai is working through a possibility of concluding a document on cooperation with a municipality of the Republic of Uzbekistan.
Honorary Consulates of the Czech and Slovak Republics operate in Ugra.
In 2019, Khanty-Mansiysk Autonomous Okrug - Ugra cooperated with 7 international organizations: the United Nations (UN), the World Bank, UNESCO, the International Organization of Northern Regions ‘Northern Forum’, Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe, Association of World Reindeer Herders, International Chess Federation (FIDE).
Since 2013, information in English, German and Chinese has been posted on unified official website of the state bodies of the Khanty-Mansiysk Autonomous Okrug – Ugra in order to increase business community awareness about potential of the Autonomous Okrug.
In 2019, governmental bodies of the Khanty-Mansiysk Autonomous Okrug - Ugra took part in 124 international events, including:
1. Abroad - 38, including visits of the Governor of Ugra to Hungary, Federal Republic of Germany, French Republic, People's Republic of China, Republic of Serbia, visits of Deputy Governors of Ugra to the United States of America, French Republic, Italian Republic, People's Republic of China.
2. In the constituent entities of the Russian Federation - 18, including participation of the Governor of the Autonomous Okrug in the Gaidar Forum, St. Petersburg International Economic Forum, International Forum ‘Arctic: Territory of Dialogue’, global conference on technologies in education ‘Edcrunch-2019’, meeting of Ugra Governor with representatives of the diplomatic corps of the Republic of Azerbaijan in the Russian Federation, meetings of Deputy Governors of the Autonomous Okrug with representatives of the diplomatic corps of the BRICS and African countries;
3. 6 presentation and exhibition events.
4. 39 visits of foreign representatives to the Khanty-Mansiysk Autonomous Okrug - Ugra: visits of representatives of the diplomatic corps in the Russian Federation (Republic of India, South Africa, Republic of Sierra Leone, Republic of Ghana, Republic of Cameroon, Federal Republic of Brazil, Hungary, Republic of Uzbekistan, Republic of Kyrgyzstan, French Republic).
5. 23 international events took place on the territory of Ugra, including with the support of federal government bodies: XVII International Debut Film Festival ‘Spirit of Fire’, II International Youth Scientific and Practical Forum ‘Oil Capital’, World Championship in billiards ‘Combined Pyramid’, International Forum ‘Year of Indigenous Languages in Russia’, Yugorsk Industrial Forum, VII Yugorsk Ski Marathon, XVII International Environmental Campaign ‘Save and Preserve’ under the auspices of UNESCO and international organization of northern regions ‘Northern Forum’, the V International Conference ‘Development of educational, cultural and scientific ties with compatriots living abroad. Contributing to preservation of Russian spiritual and cultural environment’, XXIII International Environmental Television Festival ‘Save and Preserve’, XI International IT Forum with participation of the BRICS and SCO countries, the second International Conference ‘Information and Communication in the Digital Age: Explicit and Implicit Impacts’, International competitions for the Cup of the Governor of the Khanty-Mansiysk Autonomous Okrug - Ugra in oblasy rowing, FIS World Cup in roller skiing, FIDE World Chess Cup 2019, International Freestyle Wrestling Tournament for the V.N. Semenov Cup, International Inclusive Bench Press Tournament ‘Champion’s Cup’ for prizes of world champions and record holders E.V. Isakov and A.A. Vorobiev, IV International Humanitarian Forum ‘Civil Initiatives of the 60th Parallel Regions’, Fifth Northern International Archaeological Congress..
Foreign trade turnover
Ugra foreign trade turnover in 2019 demonstrated a downward trend and amounted to USD 19,812.14 million (4.1% less compared to 2018). Trade turnover with countries outside CIS amounted to 94.8% of the total volume of the Okrug’s trade turnover, the CIS countries - 5.2%.
Imports amounted to 2.3% of the Autonomous Okrug's foreign trade turnover, respectively, 97.7% are export supplies. Export-import coverage ratio is 41.7 times.
Exports of goods and services of Ugra in the reporting period amounted to 19,348.4 million US dollars, which is 4% less than exports volume in 2018. 94.9% is exported to non-CIS countries.
Basic exported goods:
- Mineral fuel, petroleum and refined products, bituminous substances, mineral waxes;
- Wood and wood products, charcoal;
- Aircraft, spacecraft, their components.
Petroleum accounts for 99.4% of the Okrug’s total exports. Products are delivered to 61 countries.
The main trade export partners: the Netherlands - 32.9% (as percentage of the total export volume), China - 20.5%, Germany - 12.7%, and Belarus - 4.9%.
Imports of goods and services to the Autonomous Okrug amounted to 463.74 million US dollars, which is 6.8% less compared to 2018, while 91% of imported goods come from non-CIS countries.
68 countries supply their products to Ugra. In 2019, most of all goods were imported from the USA, 42.6% (as percentage of the total imports volume), China - 22.1%, Belarus - 7.5%, Germany - 5.9%.
The following product groups prevail in the import structure:
- Nuclear reactors, boilers, equipment and mechanical devices, their components - 58.9% (of total imports volume);
- Ferrous metals products - 8.9%;
- Aircraft, spacecraft, their components - 8.1%;
- Electrical machines and equipment, their components; sound reproducing and sound recording equipment; equipment for recording and reproducing television images and sound; components and accessories – 7.2%.